The original recipe is based on a rice burger recipe, and was changed to use quinoa by Linda Farnsworth. I tried these earlier this week and they were good, but I just couldn’t picture them as burgers… they reminded me more of a crab-cake sort of dish (and I’m also wondering what they would be like with crab mixed in… I’ll likely be trying them that way at some point in the future).
I tweeked the recipe just a touch – mostly in the way the ingredients are listed, and I’m including the directions for the easy cilantro-lime sauce I topped mine with.
- 3 cups quinoa cooked
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese mozzarella, cheddar, or whatever you like
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 2 green onions thinly sliced, including greens
- 3 large eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground, if possible
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- In a medium-large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Make sure it’s all mixed well. It will be a bit on the sticky side… which you want.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Take a handful of the quinoa mixture and form in to a patty about 1/2-inch thick, about 4-inches across. Depending on your skillet, you may need a touch of oil or a non-stick spray.
- Place the patty in the skillet and cook four to five minutes before carefully flipping over and cooking the other side for about another four or five minutes.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- about 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
- 3 packets True Lime crystallized lime