Cuban Beef With Quinoa
This is a great recipe you can throw in the slow cooker before work and have a delicious meal just about ready to go when you get home. You can use dried beans you’ve already cooked or canned beans.
If you use canned beans, look for low-sodium versions and rinse them well to remove even more before adding them to the meat. If you don’t have quinoa on hand, try with brown rice or other whole grains. The original recipe called for flank steak, but to make it a bit more budget friendly I went with a sirloin tip roast… and I actually don’t care for black beans all that much, so I used pinto.
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (about 2 lb), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 3 cups beef flavored broth – divided
- 1 can (15 oz or about 1.5 cups) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa